Re: Backup

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 12:43:11PM -0500, Timothy C. Phan wrote:
> kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

[...]

> > > I use an HP DAT drive (35xxx - now called Surestore, I think).  Its
> > > been use for about 5 years (every night) without a problem.  I've used
> > > 'tar' and 'dump' and both work just fine.
> >
> > I'll second the Surestore recommendation.  I've got a 2GB DAT which has

[...]

Note on followup ettiquette -- once a policy of append to existing or
prepend to existing has been established, it's preferably to reply
consistantly with the existing practice.

>   Thank for the recommendation.
>
>   One addition question,  if I backup using tar with -r (--append)
>   and -N (--newer) options to the end of the tape, how would
>   I go about extract or restore the files if the files have been
>   modified on the daily basis and I do this append with newer backup
>   daily?

Wrong solution.  If you're using tar, cpio, or afio, what you want to do
is simply append incremental backups to the tape.  Usually you have one
tape for full backups, and another for, say, a week's worth of
incrementals.  Don't muck with tar archives on tape.  <shiver>

To restore a system, you'd restore *each* of the incrementals since the
data of the last full backup.  This may mean that files you've deleted
"reappear" on the system -- if you delete a file, the backup has no way
of knowing you've done that, and the file simply exists w/o being
overwritten.  Several sysadmin books, including _The UNIX
Administrator's Handbook_ (Nemeth, et al), and _Essential Unix System
Administration_ (Frisch) cover general backup policies.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>         http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
  Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                       http://www.opensales.org