Re: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-6 ?

> Shaul> Isn't the following the root for my problem:
>
> #
> # Character devices
> #
> CONFIG_VT=y
> CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
> CONFIG_SERIAL=m
> # CONFIG_SERIAL_EXTENDED is not set
> # CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD is not set
> CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
> CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT=256
> # CONFIG_PRINTER is not set
> CONFIG_MOUSE=y
>
> #
> # Mice
> #
> [13:22:10 /tmp]$
>

> Shaul> Why was it made that way? Is it a bug?
>
> Depends where the .config (and your kernel) comes from.  Is it a
> custom compiled one or one of the original installation ones?  If it
> is an original, the .config file probably means nothing; you should
> have had a chance to select the lp module during the installation
> (it's in the Miscellaneous group, I think).
>
> If you compiled the kernel yourself, you should have selected parallel
> printer support during "make config" (or "make menuconfig" or
> whatever).  If you did, and you got the .config file you quote, it is
> a bug.

It is taken from /boot. .boot is where Debian kernel-image packages saves the
config files that was used when they were created.
[04:06:10 /tmp]$ ls /boot/config*
/boot/config-2.2.15-idepci
[09:11:38 /tmp]$

I just realized that the particular kernel I am using might not supposed to
support this module since
[09:14:34 /tmp]$ grep-available -P kernel-image-2.2.15-idepci | grep "This
version"
 This version of the kernel image package only has ide and PCI device support.
[09:14:55 /tmp]$
It puzzle me a bit because a parallel interface seems to me a common request.
In any case I will probably install a home made kernel-image real soon now.

Am I the only one who have this in his syslog?

--

	--  Shaul Karl <shaulk@israsrv.net.il>