Re: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-6 ?

Shaul> Isn't the following the root for my problem:

#
# Character devices
#
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL=m
# CONFIG_SERIAL_EXTENDED is not set
# CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD is not set
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT=256
# CONFIG_PRINTER is not set
CONFIG_MOUSE=y

#
# Mice
#
[13:22:10 /tmp]$

Shaul> Why was it made that way? Is it a bug?

Depends where the .config (and your kernel) comes from.  Is it a
custom compiled one or one of the original installation ones?  If it
is an original, the .config file probably means nothing; you should
have had a chance to select the lp module during the installation
(it's in the Miscellaneous group, I think).

If you compiled the kernel yourself, you should have selected parallel
printer support during "make config" (or "make menuconfig" or
whatever).  If you did, and you got the .config file you quote, it is
a bug.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
In his own soul a man bears the source