Re: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-6 ?

Shaul Karl <shaulk@israsrv.net.il> wrote:
>[23:32:47 /tmp]$ wc /var/log/syslog -l
>   1316 /var/log/syslog
>[23:32:50 /tmp]$ grep "modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-6"
>/var/log/syslog | wc -l
>    214
>[23:32:53 /tmp]$
>
>Why 15% of my syslog is filled with the error message about that
>module? What does it do?

char-major-6 is an alias for the set of kernel character devices on
major number 6; /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt says that this
is parallel printer support, so presumably you've got a printer daemon
installed or something.

>I am using a kernel-image as is and have not compiled anything. Why is
>it all of a sudden gives me messages about it? Is it a bug in some
>package? How can I fix it?

That kernel-image package *does* have parallel printer support enabled
as a module. Have you modified anything in /etc/modutils/ in any way?