Re: compose key in console?

Paul Seelig <pseelig@mail.Uni-Mainz.de> wrote:
>How can one configure the compose key under the console?

Use showkey to find the keycode of the key you want to remap; I use the
Windows "Application" key (the one that emulates a right-click under
Windows), which is keycode 127.

After that, the best way I know of to modify the console keymap is to
look in /usr/share/keymaps for your default keymap; mine's in
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/uk.kmap.gz. Edit that (gunzipping first
and re-gzipping at the end if necessary; my editor (vim) does that for
me), and put an appropriate line at the end. For me the extra line is
'keycode 127 = Compose'.

Finally, use /usr/sbin/kbdconfig to install and load the modified
keymap.

Of course, none of this works under X :(, so you'll need to find an XKB
guru who knows how to do that ...