Re: Loading X w/only netscape

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 12:43:59PM +0930, John Pearson wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 07:16:27PM -0700, nate@firetrail.com wrote
> > I would like to setup an account on my system..
> >
> > but when a user logs in (via KDM) if possible i don't want it to load a
> > windowmanager and all i want it to load is netscape, also i want it to log
> > back out when netscape exits.. is this possible?
> >
> > right now i have a user that logs in using afterstep (i can't seem to get
> > .xinitrc to override kdm's settings) and modified the autoexec to load
> > netscape on the special page it should be on but i can't get it to logout
> > afterwards i just put big text in the background that says hit
> > CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to logout. i also chsh'd the user to /dev/null so they
> > can't get a shell(not that security is really an issue right now).
> >
> > this is basically so someone can enter a generic login and have the
> > machine show this website when im not around to do it for them.
> >

> This is basically a bit of a security hole, unless you can and
> do nail down Netscape's configuration pretty tight.
>
> Users who want to escape Netscape can probably (e.g.) fiddle with mime
> types/helper applications to give themselves an xterm or window manager,
> so it's probably not a good idea unless you trust your users.

You may be able to get around these limitations with a restricted bash
shell.  I usually set this up with a ~/bin directory into which I've
linked applications the user should be able to run.  If Netscape is the
sole application, you'll be set.  Though Netscape usually launches
through a series of scripts, you may want to muck with that process a
bit.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>         http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
  Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                       http://www.opensales.org