[Q] 2.4.X kernels

Hello,
I have debian unstable (as of about June 10)
running on dual PII.
I want to try the latest kernes but
as of 2.3.9x kernes I cannot get
they computer to ping anywhere.
I am not sure if the problem with
the network setup of the config files in /etc
or the Express100B device driver (it
was modified in latest kernels).  But I do not
get anything in /var/log/debug or /var/log/kernel
so I am kind of lost at how to debug this problem.

I do not have forwarding enabled (and I tried
to compile with and without it). I also installed
iptables software (but as always with linux or
FreeBSD -- you have to be an idiot-savant in
networking to figure out how to get that stuff to work)
Anyways, with/or without forwarding compiled into
the kernel the results are the same.

If I have to RTFM somewhere, please do not
hesitate to point out where :-)

Thanks in advance,
Vladislav