Smartlist (maybe sendmail) canonicalizing a domain

Does anyone know why when I send to a list that I have set up using
smartlist at lists.domain.org it canonicalizes the To: header to
listname@mail.domain.org?

In my rc.init, I have:
domain=3Dlists.domain.org

I'd like to have it leave things at lists.domain.org, and I don't want to
have mail.domain.org as a CNAME to lists.domain.org (that seems like a bad
hack, though I think it would work).

Is sendmail doing this or smartlist?  Is there any output I can post that
would be useful?  Something to 'sendmail -bt' maybe?

I'm sorry if this is answered somewhere, but I couldn't find the info I
needed.

TIA

-Dan

--
"... the most serious problems in the Internet have been caused by
unenvisaged mechanisms triggered by low-probability events; mere human