Re: Thoughts on "Needs of users" vs. "Free software"

David Starner wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 05:32:06PM -0400, jpb wrote:
> > Starting with Woody, how about having the non-free packages recommend
> > the free package that provides the same functionality?
>
> suggest would be better. Don't attack the user, educate the user.

What I meant by recommend was to have it show up as an alternate - like
when you tell dselect to uninstall exim, you get the laundry list of
other MTAs.

> > Combined with
> > having the free package set to conflict with the non-free (likely to
> > already be in place),
>
> So I would have to remove mozilla to use netscape? Why would I ever switch to
> mozilla if I couldn't try it out without removing netscape? I have free
> replacements installed alongside almost every non-free program I have
> installed, frequently because the free one (or neither of them) provides
> everything I need. When and if the free version gives me everything I
> need I will switch over, but I can't do that if I can't test it out
> before changing.

Good point.  Don't make the conflict unless you really really need it to
conflict.

jpb
--
Joe Block <jpb@creol.ucf.edu>
CREOL System Administrator

Social graces are the packet headers of everyday life.