stable/secure remote mount option

I have two linux boxes, one at work and one at home.  The one at work
has several remote filesystems mounted to it via samba (2 unix and 2
NT).  I would like to have access to all of those filesystems from home
as well.  I currently use samba to mount them all, but I periodically
have problems.  This prompts me to ask what is the most stable and most
secure way of mounting remote filesystems.  Is NFS a better option than
samba?  I suspect these are my best two options, but perhaps there is
more?  Security isn't a huge issue.  The data I'm trasporting isn't
particularly sensitive (i.e. it doesn't really matter if someone sees
it.)  I just mean security in the sense that someone can't use it as a
hole to get into my system.

Thanks,
Brian
--