samba auto-unloads

Hello,

I've been using the samba client to mount NT drives to my linux box for
some time without any problems.  Now, on my home linux box, I'm mounting
drives from my linux box at work.  It works very well at first.
However, when I come back the next day, the mounted drive produces I/O
errors.  It turns out that the smb and nmb daemons have automatically
unloaded from my work box.  When I login to the remote machine and
restart samba, the drives can be mounted again.  Why does this happen?
Is it related to the daemons versus inetd issue?  I don't fully
understand this.  There are entries in my inetd.conf like this:

#:OTHER: Other services
#<off># netbios-ssn     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/smbd
#<off># netbios-ns      dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/nmbd -a

But it appears they are commented out.  I also have the standard startup
script in /etc/init.d for samba.  I sifted through the SMB-HOWTO, but
couldn't find reference to this.  Can someone help?

Thanks.
--

Brian J. Stults
Doctoral Candidate