Re: samba auto-unloads

Quoting Brian Stults (bs7452@csc.albany.edu):

> I've been using the samba client to mount NT drives to my linux box for
> some time without any problems.  Now, on my home linux box, I'm mounting
> drives from my linux box at work.  It works very well at first.
> However, when I come back the next day, the mounted drive produces I/O
> errors.  It turns out that the smb and nmb daemons have automatically
> unloaded from my work box.  When I login to the remote machine and
> restart samba, the drives can be mounted again.  Why does this happen?
> Is it related to the daemons versus inetd issue?  I don't fully
> understand this.  There are entries in my inetd.conf like this:

I take it you're making some sort of telephone connection from
home to work. Doesn't the SMB protocol use keepalive packets
to monitor logins? Trouble is, I can't remember whether and where
I saw that. Perhaps it can be configured to exceed the expected
uptime of an NT server. :)

I don't think inetd is an issue; that's just how the daemon starts
up, not whether it keeps running.

Cheers,