Tape drive not listed in /dev/

Hello,

I'm attempting to get a SCSI Sony SDT-9000 tapedrive setup.
It's been on the machine, but hasn't been used recently.
I want to use it, but i noticed there was no "/dev/st0" or anything like
that.
We ran modconfig and added the st module and it detected in the messages
file.
Why isn't there any /dev/???? for the tape drive?
Do I make the device manually? if so, how?
What's the correct procedure to get the /dev/st0 and i beleive /dev/nst0?

Here is part of "dmesg" that is related to the tape drive.

(scsi0:0:6:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
  Vendor: SONY      Model: SDT-9000          Rev: 0123
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02

and

st: bufsize 32768, wrt 30720, max buffers 4, s/g segs 16.
Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0

Thanks in advanced.

also what package is the utility "write" in?