RE: Windowmaker instead of GNOME at startup ?

Hi Oliver.

When you say PC GNOME login screen I suppose you mean the gdm (gnome desktop
manager) login welcome screen. The one that lest you choose various types of
window manager, diferent languages and to shutdown/rboot the machine.

gdm reads the session configuration from the files located in the directory:
/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions
if you examine this directory you should have a few file like gnome,
default, fvwm2, ...

these are scripts run by gdm to start a window manager on login (and set a
few other variables). you can copy one of these files and replace the
commands that start the window manager for wmaker. If no you can simply put
/usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker (if this is the correct path of course) in a file
called wmaker in that directory, dont forget to make it executable (chmod
a+x /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/wmaker).

Another way should be to make a .xsession file in your home directory (again
with execution permisions) and put wmaker in the file (or the complete path
to wmaker). Then when you choose default in any desktop manager it should
run your .xsession script (unless you have a .xclient file that overrides
it)

Why gnome is running is because a gnome-session is called in one or more of
these files I mentioned (/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/..., .xclient, .xsession,..
or maybe one Ive mist!)

Hope I helped a little :), if not send me an e-mail and Ill try to do it
better next time !.

Regards, Mark.