Re: Exim changes

John Pearson [huiac@camtech.net.au] wrote:

> It could be that mail.infoeng.flinders.edu.au and
> adam.ist.flinders.edu.au are the same machine, and it's simply
> using the canonical name in your logs.  This would be fairly
> normal if they are arranging a transition from one to the other:
> both would work until they decide to drop the old name.
>
> Try the following three things:
> $ host adam.ist.flinders.edu.au

adam.ist.flinders.edu.au        A       129.96.1.21

> and
> $ host mail.infoeng.flinders.edu.au

mail.infoeng.flinders.edu.au    CNAME   adam.ist.flinders.edu.au
adam.ist.flinders.edu.au        A       129.96.1.21

> to see if they are, in fact, the same machine, and

It seems they are.

> $ /usr/sbin/exim -bt mark@ist.flinders.edu.au
> to confirm how exim thinks it should be routed.

mark@ist.flinders.edu.au
  deliver to mark@ist.flinders.edu.au
  router = smarthost, transport = remote_smtp
  host adam.ist.flinders.edu.au [129.96.1.21]

So does this mean that it is routing to adam directly, or via
"mail.infoeng"?  How can you tell?

The other thing I still don't understand, is how mail can be delivered
even though the exim daemon is not running (ie "/etc/init.d/exim stop"
has been run).  Because I tried this, and mail still seems to be
delivered outside.

Thanks,

Mark.

--