Re: Exim changes

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 09:23:47AM +0930, Mark Phillips wrote
> My ISP is soon to make changes to its email system, and as a result I
> need to change my exim setup.  Basically, whereas the host I used to
> send out email used to be "adam.ist.flinders.edu.au", it now is
> "mail.infoeng.flinders.edu.au".  A quick "grep adam exim.conf" gave
> me:
>   route_list = "* adam.ist.flinders.edu.au bydns_a"
> so I changed this to:
>   route_list = "* mail.infoeng.flinders.edu.au bydns_a"
> and then did "/etc/init.d/exim restart".
>
> Surely this is all I need to do I thought.  But when I sent off a test
> message and looked at /var/log/exim/mainlog it had:
>
> 2000-06-13 08:56:03 131dal-0001s8-00 <= mark@ist.flinders.edu.au
> U=mark P=local S=1016
> id=20000613085603.A6383@destiny.ist.flinders.edu.au 2000-06-13
> 08:56:06 131dal-0001s8-00 => mark@ist.flinders.edu.au R=smarthost T=r
> emote_smtp H=adam.ist.flinders.edu.au [129.96.1.21] 2000-06-13
> 08:56:06 131dal-0001s8-00 Completed
>
> So it is still using adam.ist.flinders.edu.au!!!!!!  What is wrong?  I
> thought perhaps this invocation of exim is via the inetd???  But if I
> look at inetd.conf I see:

It could be that mail.infoeng.flinders.edu.au and
adam.ist.flinders.edu.au are the same machine, and it's simply
using the canonical name in your logs.  This would be fairly
normal if they are arranging a transition from one to the other:
both would work until they decide to drop the old name.

Try the following three things:
$ host adam.ist.flinders.edu.au
and
$ host mail.infoeng.flinders.edu.au
to see if they are, in fact, the same machine, and

$ /usr/sbin/exim -bt mark@ist.flinders.edu.au
to confirm how exim thinks it should be routed.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au
john@huiac.apana.org.au