Re: telnet replacement

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 01:52:31PM -0400, Dan Brosemer wrote:

> The US has strange laws which restrict the export of cryptographic code.
> The point of SSH is its cryptographic code, and thus cannot be exported from
> the US.  That doesn't mean it can't be imported _to_ the US, though.  That's
> what the non-us means.

I need to look up the specific references, but AFAIK, it's now possible
to export sources for crypto code, and possibly binaries, provided the
software is registered with the US Govt.  Registration mechanisms
*include* email notification.

Don't take this as gospel, but I'll dig refs.  This should also go to a
packaging/Debian maintainer's discussion, and likely has been discussed
there.  Rules changed ~Feb 2000.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>         http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
  Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                       http://www.opensales.org