Re: telnet replacement

www.openssh.com

>   I thought ssh and sshd are the client and server that would
>   replace telnet and telnetd respective.  Why is ssh only available
>   for non-us distribution?

The US has strange laws which restrict the export of cryptographic code.
The point of SSH is its cryptographic code, and thus cannot be exported from
the US.  That doesn't mean it can't be imported _to_ the US, though.  That's
what the non-us means.

>   Secondly,  I log on to the site below and found:
>
>     non-free/
>      ssh-askpass-nonfree
>      ssh-nonfree
>
>     main/
>      ssh
>      ssh-askpass
>      ssltelnet
>      telnet-ssl
>      telnetd-ssl
>
>   what are all these and which should I use to replace
>   telnet/telnetd on the Debian and yet allow windows/NT
>   user to login securely.

main/ssh is all you need.  It contains the server and the client.  I don't
know if there is a telnet-ssl client for NT, so you might want to look for
that and if you find one, give telnet-ssl and telnetd-ssl a try.  I really
don't know how they work or what's available for NT, though.

On your NT machine, install PuTTY
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ or play with the patch I
pointed you to in an earlier email.

HTH
-Dan

--
"... the most serious problems in the Internet have been caused by
unenvisaged mechanisms triggered by low-probability events; mere human