Re: HDA is crashing..How can I duplicate it?

Please do not use HTML since many mailclients cannot display it
properly. Thank you.

* Kevin Cobb <kcobb@east.delfin.com> writes:

> Can anyone tell me how I can place another hard drive into the
> Linux 2.1 box, copy everything from drive 1 to drive 2 and then
> come up on drive 2?

If there are no partitions on drive 2, you can boot from an
emergency system (like tomsrtbt <http://www.toms.net/rb/>) and
use dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdX. This way your
old drive will be copied sector-by-sector which means that
partitions are created automatically.

If there are partitions on drive 2, I'd suggest the use of tar;
mount every partition on drive 1 and do a tar czvf *
/a/partition/on/drive2.tar.gz in the root directory of drive 1.