Re: HDA is crashing..How can I duplicate it?

One of the newgroups I read contained the following, does anyone know if
this works with 2.1.  I believe it was for potato but being a very new linux
person, I couldn't tell you the differences.
 "install new hd in the system
  1.. 2. partition it and mke2fs
  2.. 3. mount it to /mnt
  3.. 4. execute "find / -xdev | cpio -vdump /mnt"
  4.. 5. repeat 2,3,4 for any other partition you want to copy - say if you
have separate /var /home ...
  5.. 6. make rescue/root disks from .bin files. Note that if you use modern
e2fs tools they would create ext2 with sparse superblock on and you will not
be able to use slink rescue. I used potato rescue...
  6.. 7. put new disk into permanent position
  7.. 8. reboot, load with rescue disk and tell where the root is: "rescue
root=/dev/hda1" for example
  8.. 9. edit /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo
10. remove floppy and reboot - you should be able to boot from new HD now
good luck OK PS: backup !!! "

As a serious newbie, where can I find documentation or something on mke2fs,
e2fs, etc?   Also, being this box was up prior to my arrival, and those that
build are now gone, can you create a rescue disk to do the above from the
command line?
I'm sorry for the fledgling questions, I'm an MS guy who's trying to cross
over.

Kevin