Compiling kernels

Hello list,

I need to compile my own kernels to enable SMP and get SCSI support for
my card so, after consulting the HOWTO and reading some recent postings
about kernel compiling, what I've been doing is:

1.   Rename/move my existing (/usr/src/) kernel-source-x.x.x,
kernel-headers-x.x.x and linux directories, and
kernel-source.x.x.x.tar.bz2 file.

2.   Rename/move my existing /boot/bzImage and /boot/System.map

3.   Install the kernel-source and kernel-headers packages (currently
2.2.15-2), creating a new /usr/src/kernel-headers-x.x.x directory and a
kernel-source-x.x.x.tar.bz2 file

4.   Unpack the kernel-source.x.x.x.tar.bz2 using "bzcat kern*.bz2 | tar
xvf -" to create a new kernel-source-x.x.x directory.

5.   Copy the new kernel-source-x.x.x directory to a new linux directory
- /usr/src/linux

6.   cd into /usr/src/linux

7.   make clean

8.   make xconfig

9.   make dep

10.  make bzImage

11.  make modules

12.  make modules_install

13.  Copy /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot and the DOS
partition where I use loadlin.

14.  Copy /usr/src/linux/System.map to /boot/System.map

This seems to work ok - SMP is enabled and the SCSI controller works -
but during the load process, immediately after "Calculating module
dependencies" I get a lot of "insmod *** unresolved symbols in
lib/modules/x.x.x/misc/abcde messages displayed.  I haven't been able to
find a log in /var/log/ that shows these messages and they go by pretty
quick, but they all appear to refer to stuff that I didn't select when I
went through the make xconfig step, like irda and floppy tape.

Other than that, the kernel seems stable and works ok, but I'm obviously
doing something wrong.

Also, I've heard that gcc 2.95 shouldn't be used for compiling kernels -
I've got both 2.95 and 2.7.2 installed - how do I specify that gcc 2.7.2
should be used instead of 2.95, which I assume is being used - I can't
see any versions displayed when I run the makes so I'm not sure and the
HOWTO didn't say anything (I think it was for older kernels anyway and
probably out of date for 2.2)

TIA

LeeE
--