Re: Notice: GR to remove non-free support from Debian

Andrew George <ageorge@netspace.net.au> wrote:
>I don't think this is a good thing.
>Debian is a great distribution, and I do agree, the project shouldn't
>be wasting time with bug trackking (except where its the deb that got a
>problem).

Um, I think that's one of the main goals of the project :) We contribute
a lot back to upstream authors, and it's part of our goal to support the
free software community.

>Also, I hope no-one takes this the wrong way, but I always assumed that
>the developer list would be talking about finally turning potatoe
>stable, or maybe addressing he fact that it's been over a year between
>Slink and Potatoe.

Oh, believe me, it is, at great length. ;)

>(PS the fact that Woody exists at all while Potatoe is still 'unstable'
>is another thing I would have thought the developers would be
>discussing)

It's kind of necessary; potato's in a code freeze, and those of us who
track current software (and some who need current software or packages
that have been removed from potato due to release-critical bugs) want an
unstable distribution that doesn't have the restrictions imposed by a
freeze. There's still progress on potato, nonetheless ...