Re: Notice: GR to remove non-free support from Debian

Matthew, and Debian Folks,

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Matthew Dalton wrote, in part:

> The real change is that non-free will no longer be covered by the same
> bug tracking system as the rest of Debian. This will have the most
> effect on the packages in the contrib section that depend on packages in
> non-free. This is the main reason for my objection to the proposal.

> The non-free section would turn into something similar to the debian KDE
> site, except to my knowledge there isn't any package on the official
> debian site that depends on a KDE package.

Though I too am not a developer, I must add my voice to those
opposed to this GR. It is not a good thing.

I am a vigorous and noisey supporter of Debian and the GNU projects.
Debian, and Linux, need applications that are _stable_, useful, and
distributed WITH Debian. I am afraid this can only injure Debian.

The one thing I dislike about other distributions is that I never
know whether a package will work, fail, or eat my system. I have
never had the latter untoward experience with any package
distributed by the Debian community, and Debian packages mostly work
as advertised.

Are there good, nonidealogical reasons for the GR?

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (I hope this is all of the above.)