advice on php3

I am developing a site that uses php3. One of the functions I am using is
str_replace() and it works fine on my hosting company's server as they run
the latest php3 version. However, the packaged stable version is 3.0.5 which
doesn't support this function.
I'm interested in your opinions on what my next move is. I need this
function, but the package doesn't support it. The unstable package has
dependancy problems and I am unwilling to risk other problems. I could
compile but I love the package system.
What's a boy to do?

Chris Mason
Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463
USA Fax (561) 382-7771
Take a virtual tour of the island
http://net.ai/ The Anguilla Guide