Re: OT: Floppy disk change detection - auto mounts?

> One thing that has always surprised me on Linux is that there doesn't seem
> to be any automatic mount/umount handling of floppy drives (DOS format).
>
> I guess I'm thinking of something similar to the pcmcia card manager that
> detects insert/remove events and automatically loads and unloads drivers.
>
> Perhaps there is and I missed it?
>
> /etc/fstab:
> /dev/fd0         /dosa       msdos       user,noauto
>
> I mount with:  mount /dosa
>
> If I pop out the floppy and put in another, "ls" still shows the contents
> of the first floppy.
>
> Having to umount/mount for every floppy gets tedious! Is there some
> feature that I don't know about to help with this?
>
> I just switched from WABI to Wine for running Quicken. WABI accessed the
> floppy device directly and didn't need any external help. With
> Wine/Quicken, I have to do the mount/umount each time. Quicken2000 backup
> files don't fit on one floppy. I'm new to wine and not very trusting
> yet so I backup my work every 10 or 20 minutes.
>
> ...RickM...

You could use the mtools. They provide programs to handle dos floppies,
like mcopy, mdir... With those you don't need to mount/unmount.
But I don't know whether it works in your specific (wine/quicken) case,
as I don't have any experience with those.

Jo