Re: Ghostvie won't read recent .pdf files

Daniel
Thanks for your reply. I have embeded some responses to your
comments. I prefer free software, but if someone will pay me,
I'll even use MS software. I'm revising a text for a publisher and
noted author, and myh copy to edit is .pdf.

I went out to adobe's site and fetched acrobat reader. Like you,
that is what I'm using right now.

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Daniel Reuter wrote:

> Hello David,
>
> On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, David Teague wrote:
>
> > Subject line says it all. ghostview crashes when I try to read .pdf
> > files created recently. Is there a fix? Hope someone knows ... or
> > can give me a pointer to another source of information.
>
> AFAIK, ghostview really has difficulties with pdf-files.
> Two possible solutions:
>
> 1.) If you don't want to use Acrobat Reader for some reason, you could try
> out gv. It should display most pdf-files (and PostScript) without
> difficulties (There is also a gnome-version of it, but there have been
> reports of problems with it a while ago on this list).

Thanks, I'll try gv.  I hope is isn't gnome specific, since I
presently use fvwm2.

> 2.) convert the pdf to PostScript before viewing. gs should be able to do
> it, there's a script for it, just look for the man page for pdf2ps.

pds2ps fails in exactly the same mode that ghostview fails
"unmatched .... " Seems to be a change in pdf that ghostview has not
caught up with. I can read all my older .pdf files with ghostscript,
but I'm revising a text for a publisher, and my files are new .pdf.
No joy.

> I don't know, if these two will handle all kinds of pdf-files, but you
> could give it a try.

I'll certainly give gv a try.

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (I hope this is all of the above.)