Re: Java 1.2

Mats Rynge <mats@rynge.net> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I wonder what I have to do in order to be able to use Java 1.2 on my
> potato box. If I understand it right, I need glibc 2.1, which means that
> I have to go to unstable. I want to stay away from the unstable if
> possible.

potato is currently frozen, and will be stable in maybe a month. So it is
probably safe to use potato (which has glibc 2.1.3).
In that case, you can choose between the blackdown, sun or ibm-versions
(on x86, only blackdown supports other hardware).

if you want to use slink, go to www.blackdown.org, and download
jdk1.2prev2*.tar.gz
make sure you download from the glibc2.0 directory.

it should be just (as root)
$cd /usr/local
$tar -xzf jdk1.2prev2.tar.gz
(this creates /usr/local/jdk1.2/*)
and then add /usr/local/jdk1.2/bin to your PATH

--
Felix Natter