Re: PCMCIA / Sound Problems with Notebook

On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 10:31:26PM +0200, Oliver Schoenknecht wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I've got two problems with my notebook that I couldn't solve on my own,
> so each hint of you is appreciated very well - first of all, both
> problems appeared with Debian 2.1 as well as Red Hat 6.2 or Storm Linux
> on Kernel 2.2.15, so the errors doesn't seem to be distribution-specific
> !
>
> First, I've got an Ensoniq ESS-SOLO1 (1969)-Soundchip installed in my
> notebook together with an external volume control. Unfortunately the
> speakers beep continuingly once the volume control has reached a certain
> level and the only way to bypass this problem for some time is to set
> the level to quite a low point and use any kind of mixer that restores
> the sound level at reboot. But once you happen to touch the external
> control again, the beeping continues... I know that this SOLO-1-Chip is
> supported by the Kernel (especially as I did compile it by myself) so
> this must be solved somehow... any clues ?
[...]

I sometimes get a similar problem on my Toshiba T400 notebook. What
happens to me is the sound card module turns on the microphone
input by default, and acoustic feedback results. Try putting your
thumb over the microphone and see if that makes any difference in
the minimum volume control setting which causes the beep.

If this is indeed the case, you can adjust your mic input settings
in the mixer program to reduce the sensitivity or turn it off
entirely.

HTH

your pal dave

--