PCMCIA / Sound Problems with Notebook

Hey everyone,

I've got two problems with my notebook that I couldn't solve on my own,
so each hint of you is appreciated very well - first of all, both
problems appeared with Debian 2.1 as well as Red Hat 6.2 or Storm Linux
on Kernel 2.2.15, so the errors doesn't seem to be distribution-specific
!

First, I've got an Ensoniq ESS-SOLO1 (1969)-Soundchip installed in my
notebook together with an external volume control. Unfortunately the
speakers beep continuingly once the volume control has reached a certain
level and the only way to bypass this problem for some time is to set
the level to quite a low point and use any kind of mixer that restores
the sound level at reboot. But once you happen to touch the external
control again, the beeping continues... I know that this SOLO-1-Chip is
supported by the Kernel (especially as I did compile it by myself) so
this must be solved somehow... any clues ?

Second, I've got a Texas Instruments TI-12XX-Cardbus controller
installed in my notebook and I have used cards successfully with Windows
(shame on me !) so the controller is working okay. But, and here is my
second problem, once I boot up with the PCMCIA-services, the system
stops and nothing happens... I have also installed the latest
PCMCIA-Package and read the documentation several times, but nothing
helped - does somebody have an idea how to get this workin ?

Anyway, thanks for all hints that flow in, I do really appreciate them !

Oliver