shared interrupts

Hello:

I am running into a problem with a new computer as I try to install
Debian.  I have done many installations in the past but I have never run
across this problem before.

The machine in question already has Windows98 and I noticed that it shares
interrupts between various devices.  Specifically the Ethernet card and
the on-board sound system as well as at least one other pair.

The consequence is that the ethernet card (a PCI card) cannot be detected
with modprobe either during the installation module config process (Debian
2.2) or even when I try by hand.

I plan to try to remove or disable various devices but if anyone has come
across this situation and solved, I would most appreciate the insight.

Cheers,

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Associate Professor of Physics
Illinois Institute of Technology