Re: staroffice

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 10:47:49AM -0700, Bob Brown wrote:

***snip, snip****
> I'm still looking for Mr. Goodbar...  If anyone has found an Office
> Package that can stand up to Office97, I'd love to hear about it.
> I'm presently playing with Applix. (Not very strong, but stable.)

**snip, snip****

If you don't mind spending a little cash (about 50 bucks), take a look
at Trelos's Win4Lin (www.trelos.com).  It is derived from an old SCO
product called merge (I believe).  I'm running all Office97 apps on Win98
in an X window (I'm really retro - I use olvwm).  Everything works like
a charm -- Word, Excel w/VBA macros, Access, PPoint.  And Windoze
crashes are handled quite nicely w/o disturbing Linux :-).

Pros:  Haven't found any Win9x software I can't run (incl. Quicken,
Photoshop, Matlab, MathCAD,...).  Can read any filesystem that Linux can
access (incl my SCSI mounted Jaz disk), and can print to my Photosmart
printer (eg, from Photoshop).

Cons:  Small performance hit, no support for sound, COM ports (it does
have winsock connections, though), or SCSI devices like scanners (yet).

OBLIGATORY DISCLAIMER:  Unfortunately I don't have any financial
interest in this product.

HTH & HAND
--
Martin Hillyer