Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 14:55:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ari Heitner <aheitner@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: mbaker@iee.org
Subject: exim question

Sorry to bug you but I'm not sure this is a bug so I didn't bug(1) it.

Sorry :)

And it's probably a problem for your upstream guys anyhow...

I'm getting some weird behaviour from exim. I accidentally had a mailto in
a fetchmailrc running every minute, with the result that it was mailing me
(locally) every minute to tell me there was no more mail to fetch (this
only ran for maybe 1/2 hour).

Exim, being its cheerfully paranoid self, apparently decided someone was
trying to spam it or do something else evil, so it took its usual action
of sticking all the messages in /var/spool/exim/input and putting off
action till the next time cron ran it.

But that mail has been there for several days now w/o being delivered.
/var/spool/exim/input looks like:

templestowe:/var/spool/exim/input# ls
12wbiH-0000Q7-00-D  12wbiL-0000Q8-00-D  12wbiO-0000Q8-01-D 12wyOP-00011v-00-D
12wbiH-0000Q7-00-H  12wbiL-0000Q8-00-H  12wbiO-0000Q8-01-H 12wyOP-00011v-00-H

except it goes on for about 25 lines. It's all the right mail ... if I
mail myself new stuff (I turned off the fetchmail cronjob completely, so
no new mail except my test stuff has come in) it just sits in the input
directory also (I can see new files with the right contents).

Suggestions?

If there's an exim mailing list I don't know about (I feel guilty for
bothering you rather than doing my homework) please feel free to just
forward this to that. I ask that I be cc:'d on mailing list reply-posts.

I feel like such a bad person :)

Ari Heitner
  DC: 703/5733512  CMU: 412/8622699
Non c'è più forza nella normalità: c'è solo monotonia.