Re: determining what makes a filesystem busy

Joost Claessen <joost@thor.edu> writes:

> On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 09:47:44PM +0000, ktb wrote:
> > I don't know if it would work or even be recommended but have you tried
> > the -k option to kill all processes to that file system?  The other
> > thought I had is boot into your system as a single user but I'm sure
> > that is what your trying to avoid, is a boot.
> > hth,
> > kent
> >

> The only way to mount /usr ro is to put as a shell in your /etc/passwd one that doesn't
> need liberaries from /usr/lib. Bash can do it, when called upon correctly. I don't

This works for me just fine on a default install of bash in potato.  I
have /usr mounted ro in fstab, and if I need to install anything I just

# mount -o rw,remount /usr

before, and

# mount -o ro,remount /usr

when I'm done, and I've never had any problems.

> know about oter shells. Then login and get the kill all remaining processes that use
> /usr. Usually that does the trick. By the way, init 1 does the work quick and I
> don't see it as a boot.

Best wishes,

cbb