From: EXT Eric G . Miller [mailto:egm2@jps.net]
Sent: 31. May 2000 11:52
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Cc: debian-isp@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: OT: NTP hardware

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 11:45:07AM -0500, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> Off topic, if you don't have interest in stratum 1 NTP servers stop
> reading now please :)
>
> Is anyone here running a stratum 1 NTP server?  If so, what hardware
> are you using for time synchronization?  We have a GPS receiver that
> provides clocking for a SONET ring here and I'm sure there's a card I
> can stick in a server that accepts clocking from the receiver, but
> it's (so far) been difficult finding information or a company that
> knows what I'm talking about.  (Perhaps I'm asking the wrong companies
> ...)

With a short search of GOOGLE on "GPS Time Card", I got
http://www.truetime.com which apparently makes PCI, ISA and other GPS
boards to use for clocking.  Debian has software in woody/potato that'll
talk to some of these boards.  With Selective Availabilty now removed,
they should be amazingly precise.

I'm sure they're other places to get these boards.  Just need an antenna
and some software so talk to it, I guess.

--
¶ One·should·only·use·the·ASCII·character­set·when·compos­

» ing·email·messages.