Re: internet connection

T wrote:

> Hi,
> i have set up debian base system and was advised to get on the net with that computer to get the rest of the system.  I am having trouble configuring my internet connecti0on.  I have it on a win computer, and the terminal window comes up with a menu, where i switch to ppp and then log in.  I tried to set this up with pppconfig, and entered a pre login chat bbut i can't get it to work.  Is there a way i can bring up somethin resembling a terminal window on a debian?  Thanks for your help
>
> Scott

A console screen and a terminal window are the same thing basically.
I'm assuming by terminal window you mean something like 'xterm' in 'X.'
Just run 'pppconfig' and then 'pon provider' (assuming you went with the
default provider name).  Then take a look at /var/log/ppp.log and see
what the output is if you can't log on.  Send that output to this list.
There are lots of different reasons that may be preventing you to log on
to your provider.  More information is needed to sort this out.  Make
sure your modem is supported by Linux also.
hth,
kent