Re: Getting free ISPs to work

--- Chris Gray <cgray@nowonder.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 04:48:16AM -0700, Jonathan Markevich wrote:
> >
> > As for Freewwweb, STAY AWAY.  They have no clue how to run a SMTP
> > server.  I get ALL of my mail bounced back to me because they
> don't
> > have a record of valid dial-up IP assignments.  (e.g. This
> message was
> > cut and pasted from a bounce and re-composed online.)
>
> Indeed.  The way I work it is to have a real ISP which doesn't drop
> packets going to port 25 and have a real mail account somewhere
> other than
> freewwweb.  Then I use my freewwweb account(s) for general surfing
> and
> my real ISP for sending mail.  Since my real ISP is free for 12
> hours a
> month, I basically have free dial-up internet service with all the
> amenities.  Good luck.

I use exim, and it's aggravatingly transparent.  If I did dial up
another provider, it would trand sieze the opportunity to mail
anythng in the queue and, of course, get bounced as relaying.

It's tempting me to switch to another MTA, I tell ya.

Everyone on the debian-user list should send Freewwweb a mail message
saying they heard how awful their support is, and they are another
lost customer.  Heh heh... distributed spamming... <slap on back of
hand>

I need to find one of those 12 hour freebie accounts.