Re: Getting free ISPs to work

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 09:53:37AM -0700, Jonathan Markevich wrote:

> --- Chris Gray <cgray@nowonder.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 04:48:16AM -0700, Jonathan Markevich wrote:
> > >
> > > As for Freewwweb, STAY AWAY.  They have no clue how to run a SMTP
> > > server.  I get ALL of my mail bounced back to me because they
> > don't
> > > have a record of valid dial-up IP assignments.  (e.g. This
> > message was
> > > cut and pasted from a bounce and re-composed online.)
> >
> > Indeed.  The way I work it is to have a real ISP which doesn't drop
> > packets going to port 25 and have a real mail account somewhere
> > other than
> > freewwweb.  Then I use my freewwweb account(s) for general surfing
> > and
> > my real ISP for sending mail.  Since my real ISP is free for 12
> > hours a
> > month, I basically have free dial-up internet service with all the
> > amenities.  Good luck.
>
> I use exim, and it's aggravatingly transparent.  If I did dial up
> another provider, it would trand sieze the opportunity to mail
> anythng in the queue and, of course, get bounced as relaying.

I use Freewwweb and my mail didn't get bounced, but the smtp
connections timed out.  I had to disable MTU path discovery with
sysctl as per the postfix documentation.

Apparently there is a misconfigured server somewhere between me and
them.  I told them about it and got no reply.  I have not yet tried
re-enabling MTU path discovery to see if they did anything.

BTW, the postfix docs said that disabling MTU path discovery was a
workaround (a misconfigured server is the real problem) and that by
disabling it, all would suffer.  How would "all" "suffer"?

--
Pat Mahoney  <pat7@gmx.net>

linux: the choice of a GNU generation
(ksh@cis.ufl.edu put this on Tshirts in '93)