Re: New kernel needed for potato upgrade?

Quoting William Dowling (william.dowling@isinet.com):
> Can some one explain the relation between kernel upgrade and
> slink->potato upgrade?

They're separate issues in the main. What you have to be careful about
is that you don't accidently upgrade packages that are related to the
kernel rather than the distribution, e.g. pcmcia stuff.

> I had a working slink, and did this:
> 1) updated from my 2.0.36 kernel to 2.2.14 by installing just
> kernel-image-2.2.14-ide.
> This was a failure in that after the update, (on network start, I think)
> I saw messages like
> "SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument ... eth0: not found" and I had no network
> connection. So
> I uninstalled and went back to 2.0.36

2.0.x kernels have route commands in /etc/init.d/network whereas
2.2.x kernels set them up automatically already so the redundant
commands produce the error messages. Ignore them.
http://www.uk.debian.org/releases/stable/running-kernel-2.2
has a reference to a slink-compatible version of netbase suitable
for 2.2.x kernels.

> 2) Reading in some doc that potato supports both 2.0 and 2.2 kernels, I
> did a slink->potato upgrade.
> Almost everything worked, but I got messages telling me update-modules
> failed, and several
> warnings about modutils, seemingly indicating something in potato is not
> completely happy
> with my 2.0.36 kernel or its configuration.

If you're back on 2.0.x, just check that /etc/conf.modules is correct.
This file used to be maintained by you, but is now built from
/etc/modutils/* which is the same stuff but distributed across
several files so that you only have to maintain your bits,
principally local.

> So:  Do I need the new kernel? Is it possible the modutils problems are
> related to the bum access to
> IMAP?

No idea. "Not working" doesn't help. But you can check that any modules
you need are loaded by comparing /etc/modules with /proc/modules.
Bear in mind that /etc/modules needs checking if you change kernels,
particularly anything involving stock kernels. (If you compiled
your own 2.0.x and 2.2.x with the same flavours (as I do), there may
be no changes required.)

You will probably notice that kerneld is replaced by kmod and that
automatic rmmod'ing is done differently (by a cron every 20 mins).

Cheers,