IP-Chains, etc.

Ok I now have my Debian and Windows boxes networked, and I tried to set up
IP Chains as follows:

ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -i ppp0 -j ACCEPT

Now whenever I traceroute something from the Win box I get:

1       1ms    <10ms    <10ms      (Linux box).
2        *       *        *

etc.
Now I realise ICMP packets are handled by a different kernel option. Can I
get this working without building a new kernel?

Secondly, I have set the Win box with a gateway of the Lin box, and web
pages still won't load. Now I've heard this is the case if the IP Masq
stuff wasn't included in the kernel (2.2.15pre19-1 btw, and Win98), and
the only hint I've seen in HOWTO's is to check for a file:

/proc/net/ipfw_chains

I get a file listed when I ls -al this (its 0 bytes tho).

Now have I just simply missed kernel options and thus need to build a new
one, and if so which, or what is going on that causes me to not be able to
access the web from the Windows box, using the Linux box as the gateway?

Cheers,
 Corey Popelier
 http://members.dingoblue.net.au/~pancreas
 Work Email: copo@commerce.wa.gov.au