Re: Using APM

Le Mon, 29 May 2000, vous avez écrit :
> Thibaut Cousin wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> >   I'd like to be able to put my computer to sleep as it does under windows. So
> > far, I've gotten my screen to suspend, but that's all... and the APM doc is
> > useless.
> >   My SCSI host adapter is a 2940 Ultra, and the drive is a Quantum Fireball.
> > The CPU is a PII.
> >
> >   I have a SCSI drive, my / partition is on it. Is it possible to suspend
> > the drive ? hdparm is only for IDE drives, and I found nothing in hwtools...
> >   By the way, is it possible to control the CPU fan too ? My computer is a
> > desktop one, not a laptop, but it can do it, I believe ?
> >
> > --
> > Thibaut Cousin
> > email : cousin@in2p3.fr
> >
> > --
> I don't think it is possible to contol the cpu fan. To do
> that, it needs to implemented in your motherboard's bios, or
> you would have get/make it yourself (a device that measures
> cpu-temperature and can control the voltage to the fan
> accordingly).

  Well, it has probably been done, because windows is able to do it (on the
same computer) ! As for Linux, apm's doc talks about it, but it is not clear at
all.

> On my Compaq PII350, they've put a <huge> aluminium heatsink
> on the processor and left out the fan. This is a wonderfully
> silent solution to that!

  Is it a desktop ? That seems very nice indeed...

> Have you compiled apm into your kernel? also, there's a
> apm-tools package (I forget the exact name, but a search for
> apm in dselect should find it).

  Yes. I compiled APM with "Enabled at boot time" and "Power off on shutdown".
The package you're talking about must be apmd. It seems to be what I need, but
I don't understand anything to the doc, and the /etc/apm directory is almost
empty :-( Maybe apmd is limited to laptops... I really don't know.

--
Thibaut Cousin
email : cousin@in2p3.fr