Re: Just a Question???

:: On Sat, 27 May 2000 15:53:56 -0500, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> said:

> However, concerning the "LT Win Modem #2": winmodems are so named
> because they are designed to work with Microsoft Windows. Except in rare
> cases, they won't work with Linux, or OS/2, or Be, or DOS, or anything
> else that the manufacturer is too lazy/cheap to support.

I think there has been some work on that... You may want to check
http://www.linmodems.org/ but of course, even if you manage to make the modem
work, the CPU will still have to do whaat is supposed to be the
modem's job... :-/

Anyway, I think PC-Tel and Lucent released linux drivers for their
winmodems, Im not sure.

Just one more thing: the original poster is brazilian. Unfortunately,
there are cities in Brazil where you simply can't find a real
modem for sale. :-(  Part of the hardware produced in other countries
is imported, and only part of it. Nobody cares about the rest. They
want to sell things that they're sure lots of people will buy, and
that of course includes cheap winmodems... ("If I'm selling a US$15
winmodem, why would I bother to import expensive real modems tht
nobody will buy anyway?"). Nice, eh? Not only we have to pay local
phone calls per minute, we're also stuck with winmodems. :-/

J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil