Authenticating SMTP Server

I would like to configure my SMTP server to relay mail for a few
friends who dial up and are dynamically assigned IPs.  I certainly
don't want an open relay, but I don't know what other options I have
with Debian.

A web search reveals several authenticating schemes -- some password
protected, one particularly elegant one accepting outgoing mail from
any IP from which the user has successfully checked POP3 mail in the
last several hours -- but they seem to be for commercial servers.

Neither Mail-Administrator-HOWTO nor Mail-HOWTO mention authentication.

What Debian options are there?

Kirk Hilliard