Re: Authenticating SMTP Server

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 09:56:31PM -0400, Kirk Hilliard wrote:

> A web search reveals several authenticating schemes -- some password
> protected, one particularly elegant one accepting outgoing mail from
> any IP from which the user has successfully checked POP3 mail in the
> last several hours -- but they seem to be for commercial servers.

> What Debian options are there?

I don't think there's anything packaged doing POP-before SMTP -
typically that sort of thing is done on an ad-hoc basis and is quite
site-specific.  Most of the people who would need things like that
aren't doing anything particularly standard.  The name DRAC springs
to mind as being worth checking out, though.

Depending on the client software, other approaches to look at would
include UUCP over TCP (mostly for people using Unix boxes) and IIRC TLS
mail servers can authenticate clients with the certificates they use.
Don't quote me on the latter one - I've never looked at that stuff.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/