Re: befuddled

Michael Skipper wrote:

> I've installed potato (kernel 2.2.15) on
> my thinkpad from the install floppies, but
> some things seem wrong. I am a rank amateur
> which doesn't help, but (for instance) it
> seems as though I should see some kind of
> kernel (symlink or otherwise) at
>
> /usr/src
>
> but this directory is empty (save for . and ..)
>
> Also, the man command is not found, as in:
>
> XXXXX:~# man hwclock ----> bash: man: command not found
>
> sorry to bother this list, but I'm lost and
> help seems elusive. Most books/sites recommend
> (re)building the kernel as a useful and profitable
> thing to do early on, but some real basic
> functionality seems missing from this install
>
> this is the 16 floppy potato (rescue, root-bin,
> drivers1-3 and base1-11).
>
> Any suggestions are welcome
> TIA
> Mike

Mike, the base install doesn't include the kernel source and lots of
other stuff including man.

Presuming that you can reach the net (which means configuring your NIC
etc etc), you can then use the great tool 'dselect' to add all these
other things to your system. dselect is kinda ugly graphically, but it
extremely functional and handles all package dependencies.

Getting to the net with a new install may be a bit of a challenge,
though, depending on how you get there (via modem dialup, DSL, cable
modem, etc).

Good luck!

Stan