RE: Sound Question

On 25-May-2000 Jay Kelly wrote:
> I am trying to setup a SoundBlaster16 sound card, I have recomplied the
> kernel for sound and pnp support. Now I see the howto is telling me to:
>
> Use pnpdump to capture the possible settings for all your Plug and Play
> devices, saving the result to the file /etc/isapnp.conf.
> Choose settings for the sound card that do not conflict with any other
> devices in your system and uncomment the appropriate lines in
> /etc/isapnp.conf. Don't forget to uncomment the (ACT Y) command near the
> end.
> Make sure that isapnp is run when your system boots up, normally done by one
> of the startup scripts. Reboot your system or run isapnp manually.
>
> 1) after using the 'pnpdump' how do I save it to the /etc/isapnp.conf.
>
> 2) Where do I uncomment the (ACT Y) command? I didnt see it.
>
> 3) How do I make sure the isapnp is run at bootup?
>
> Thanks Guys
> Jay

If you have a pnp-compliant bios, and you're happy with the card's
configuration, you don't need isapnptools. isapnp is for initialising the card
& setting one of its configuration. But if your bios does that on startup, you
can just pass the io,irq and dma to the sb module, and sb will recognize the
card.