Re: Colormaps in Linux

Pat Mahoney wrote:

> On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 03:33:19AM -0700, Eric Hagglund wrote:
> > The problem I am trying to fix is that fonts and
> > images in Netscape have never been properly displayed
> > in Netscape. Instead of getting fonts, toolbars,
> > scrollbars and images displayed as the application
> > programmers and web designers intended, I get basic
>
> Does the unix version of netscape ever look good?

As good or better than that other brand.

Install the xfstt package and borrow some true type fonts somewhere. Those from the
other brand will work. With a little tweaking it should look exactly the way you want
it to. Search the debian archives for hints, there was a lot of discussion of the topic
some months ago.

> > Courier fonts, two dimensional images (I especially
>
> Every image on a screen is two dimensional :)
>
> > notice this with tool bars in netscape and within web
> > pages) and 16-bit colors instead.
>
> Try running X in 32-bit mode.  If your XF86Config file is set up
> right, startx -- -bpp 32 should work.  You can also set 32 bit as the
> default somewhere in there.  See manpage for XF86Config.
>

> >  I believe this probably has something to do with the
> > way I have set up my color map in X as I
> > intermittently get the following error: "Unable to
> > allocate default colormap".
> >
> > Does anybody know what I need to do to fix this?

By all means follow the suggestion for 32 bit if possible. Additionally,  if you're
wondering what your system is currently set at,  try executing xdpyinfo.

John