Colormaps in Linux

The problem I am trying to fix is that fonts and
images in Netscape have never been properly displayed
in Netscape. Instead of getting fonts, toolbars,
scrollbars and images displayed as the application
programmers and web designers intended, I get basic
Courier fonts, two dimensional images (I especially
notice this with tool bars in netscape and within web
pages) and 16-bit colors instead.

 I believe this probably has something to do with the
way I have set up my color map in X as I
intermittently get the following error: "Unable to
allocate default colormap".

Does anybody know what I need to do to fix this?