Installing an earlier kernel?

Dumb question time, I'm sure. I've been running 2.2.15 for a
while, but in a desparate effort to get a modem that works on
this laptop before next Wednesday, I've built 2.2.12 (so I can
run the damn Lucent binary winmodem driver).

I've been booting off a floppy and so far it seems ok. (I
haven't tried to figure out what was fixed between 12 and 15.)

But if I 'make install' the kernel to put it on /dev/hda5 and
then run lilo: everything seems "right"; /vmlinuz is a symlink
to 2.2.12 in the /boot directory; similarly, the other symlinks
point to 2.2.12 tings., but /proc/version still says 2.2.15 is
running. Huh? What'd I miss.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--