Re: Simple Text Editor with Synatx highlighting?

Steve Lamb wrote:
[cut]
> The /only/ perl construct I know of that doesn't work is
> something like this:
>
> if ($foo =~ /bar\/blam/){
> }

The problem I see in 5.3 is less subtle.

It will mess up this:

$whatever =~ /thingiem/;

Thinks the 'm/' is the beginning of a match and colorizes it, messing up
subsequent lines as well!

>     Vim would see the \/, see a / and mess up the colorization right there.
> However, this fixes it:
>
> if ($foo =~ m/bar\/blam/){
> }
>
>     Adding the m works fine.  To me, explicitly stating a match is no big deal
> for me.

Hmmm, that works for my problem as well.  OK, vim (5.3) still rules for
now.

[cut]

>     One downside of vim that I just remembered, be careful the need for
> slamming the ESC key.  Windows likes to think it means "shut this window NOW!"
> and if you have the confirmation turned off you lose messages in your Windows
> email client.  Normally I don't wack the ESC key unless I am doing code.  See
> above.  ;)

?? Must be program-dependent.  Haven't had Windows do this.  Typically,
I'm using vim within a Windows telnet client.