Re: Cannot find libz1 and libxpm4

>I guess, my problem is caused by the fact that I use dpkg
>to investigate
>dependencies and to install packages and not apt-get (I
>must admit, that
>I positioned it low priority on my installing list. Since
>setting it up
>didn't work right from the beginning, I skipped it for
>later
>experiments.

 As a last ressort, you can always consult the search engine
 at

  http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages (-> Search Package
  Directories)

   This interface will list all dependencies. Even if you
   don't download
   the packages from there (apt is certainly more
   convenient), it might
   be helpfull as a means of orientation, especially if
   you're still
   exploring the load of packages which are available.
Make apt a higher priority.  I was just like you, not
wanting to bother with apt, until I couldn't get my
~.xsession read.  After asking on this list, I found that I needed cpio installed.

fred

--
Using Linux